Going on a week or even two week-long trip is everyone’s dream, isn’t it? But sometimes it’s just not feasible… With busy schedules and bank accounts that constantly remind us of how we should be working and staying at home, those long vacations abroad are often times only experienced once or twice a year. However, for those travel lovers like myself, a weekend getaway can be just as much fun and exciting if you’ve prepped and planned!
Going for a 2 or 3 night trip to a country or city nearby that you haven’t explored yet can be the perfect option for those who want to get away, refresh, experience new things and see new sights without spending too much time or money. I absolutely love weekend getaways and now that I live in the Netherlands, I love how close other European cities are. For instance, just a few weeks ago we spent 3 nights in Paris, which turned out to be the perfect amount of time!
I must say, I’ve become more and more prepared for my travels with every weekend getaway I’ve taken and have a mental list of things I do before I leave for my next trip to ensure I’m prepared and don’t miss anything out. I thought it might be useful for the rest of you if you haven’t really done many weekend getaways yet and need a few pointers, of how to prepare for them!
- Plan all your transport- make sure you’ve booked your flights, trains, buses in advance to ensure you get a seat but also have a bit of a structure. Spontaneity is awesome, but not in a short weekend trip… so to avoid wasting the precious short stay you have in a new place figuring out transport, plan everything in advance.
- Research your hotel location– I’m sure most of us already do, but if you don’t, make sure to look at what fun cafes or restaurants may be around the place you are staying. Sometimes we overlook what’s right next to us and start searching somewhere else, but you don’t want to miss out on a possible hotspot right outside your door.
- Use Instagram and Youtube to your advantage– we’re all using social media nowadays (I mean, who isn’t…?) to look at other people’s lives and to share insight into our own. When it comes to finding great spots to try out when you’re visiting a new place, social media can be a saviour! I have found countless amazing restaurants, shops and museums just by looking at Instagram accounts purely dedicated to travel, food or even a specific city. Youtube travel vlogs are also a good idea!
- Pack your essentials– you don’t want to arrive at your destination having forgotten a toothbrush, hairbrush or undies… why waste your time trying to find a place where to pick them up and also spending money on something you already have? I always have a little list of items I need to pack that I write up a few days before I go, so that I can look over it as I get ready each morning and evening before bed to see if I’ve missed something out. Planning and packing really are crucial when you’re getting ready for a short trip! You may also have a pool in your hotel or a beach nearby, so also having your Throwbie with you will always come in handy. Even if there isn’t a pool or beach nearby… I use my Throwbie when I get out of the shower as I find it works 100 times better than hotel towels!
- Be prepared for all sorts of weather- pack an umbrella and even if you’re going somewhere hot- always have a jumper or two just in case.
- Charge batteries and bring power banks– there is nothing worse than running out of battery on your phone or camera in the middle of exploring, so make sure you have extra batteries or battery packs with you to charge up during a coffee break!
I hope these tips will come in handy, and I can’t wait to see where you travel next!
*You can get 10% off Moana Maroke Throwbies from Monday 25th November 2019 to Thursday 28th November 2019 using code: ENJOYBYPAULA10 at checkout*